Rethinking Innovation and Scale
June 5th, 2017 - 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Paul Brest Hall
555 Salvatierra Walk
Stanford , CA 94305
An organization, and ultimately its impact, can be fundamentally defined by how it manages the dual challenge of innovating and building on its existing strengths, or ‘scaling’ as Johanna Mair and Christian Seelos suggest in their new book, Innovation and Scaling for Impact. All too often organizations, and their funders, face heartache and confusion when confronted with making choices that will influence an organizations capacity for maximizing impact.
In their book, drawing on a decade of research, Christian and Johanna transcend widely held misconceptions, forcing us to rethink how social sector organizations create value. They detail innovation archetypes that effectively sidestep these pathologies and blend innovation with scaling. By elaborating on conceptual models and tools to drive progress and define the future of organizations, the authors get to the core of what a sound impact strategy entails in the nonprofit world.
On June 5, join the authors here on Stanford’s campus as they discuss the way forward for organizations on the frontlines of social change. Johanna will moderate a discussion with Dr. Roy Steiner, senior director of the Intellectual Capital team for Omidyar Network, Renee Kaplan, Chief Strategy Officer at the Skoll Foundation, Jim Bildner, CEO of the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation, and co-author Christian Seelos, on innovation, learning, and systems-level impact.
- 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm - Program
- 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm - Reception
- Johanna Mair - Professor of Organization, Strategy, and Leadership at the Hertie School of Governance, Distinguished Fellow at Stanford PACS and Academic Editor of the Stanford Social Innovation Review
- Christian Seelos - Visiting Scholar at Stanford PACS and the Leo Tindemans Chair of Business Model Innovation, University of Leuven
- Jim Bildner - CEO of Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation
- Renee Kaplan - Chief Strategy Officer, Skoll Foundation
- Roy Steiner - Senior Director of the Intellectual Capital Team, Omidyar Network