The Comm230X +1 Speaker Series highlights evolving perspectives at the intersection of the social sector, digital technology, and contemporary society. Winter 2020 speakers are experts from social sector organizations and from the fields of law, journalism, technology, and policy, including Jen Schradie, Catherine Sandoval, and Victoria Baines. Topics covered in the series include technology use in the social sector, criminal justice, journalism, technology policy, cyber security, and digital activism & conservativism.
This one-unit class is a required component of the Seminar on Digital Civil Society and is open to enrollment by other students (for a single unit, credit/no credit) and to public participation. Grades are based on participation in the presentations and discussions. Students will have the opportunity to present their work in partnership with, or in search of potential colleagues from campus or the community writ large.
All speaker sessions are open to the public and will be listed as events on the Stanford PACS events page.
Winter Quarter 2020 Speakers
- Jan 14 – Allen Gunn, Executive Director at Aspiration Tech
- Jan 21 – Abbie van Sickle, Criminal Justice Reporter for The Marshall Project
- Feb 4 – Catherine Sandoval, Associate Professor of Law at Santa Clara University
- Feb 11 – Victoria Baines, Cybersecurity Expert and Affiliate, Stanford Cyber Policy Center
- Feb 25 – Jen Schradie, Author of The Revolution that Wasn’t: How Digital Activism Favors Conservatives
- Mar 3 – Barbara van Schewick, Professor of Law and Director of Stanford Law School’s Center for Internet and Society
Previous Speakers – Fall Quarter 2019
- Oct 1 – Ge Wang – Humans in the Loop: The Artful Design of Technology
- Oct 15 – Sharad Goel – Equitable Algorithms and Computational Policy
- Oct 29 – Nicole Coleman – Are You Worried About Data Bias? Invest in Libraries
- Nov 5 – Jay Hamilton – What is Computational Journalism? How Could it Better Support Democracy?
- Nov 19 – Consuelo Amat and Natalie Cadranel – Working with History’s Avengers at the Nexus of Academia and Grasroots Technology
Teaching Assistants for this course are Xinlan Emily Hu and Eli Cahan