Post Doctoral Fellowships
Stanford PACS invites applications for a one or two-year postdoctoral fellowships. The Center will award one fellowship and possibly more to for a postdoctoral fellow to spend time at Stanford and participate in Center activities. Applications are welcome from young scholars across the social sciences as well as social science related professional schools.
Each fellow will be affiliated with a disciplinary department or school at Stanford University and with the Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society. The postdoctoral fellowship provides scholars with the opportunity to pursue original research related to philanthropy, social innovation, civic engagement and civil society and to work closely with a Stanford faculty member, while participating in program activities specifically our PhD workshop and public events. While there will be ample time for the fellows to pursue their current line of scholarship, the expectation is that they will also collaborate with Stanford scholars, and pursue research in tandem with their faculty sponsor.
Stanford University faculty members who are potential sponsors of a postdoctoral fellow include the Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society Faculty Co-Directors Rob Reich, Woody Powell, and Paul Brest. A longer list of potential faculty is available on the website under the link for the faculty steering committee. The Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society is a program of the Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS). Since 2006, the Center has supported PhD students and undergraduates from across the university and since 2010 the post-doctoral fellowship program is our effort to fund research from outside Stanford.
The annual fellowship stipend is $50,000, plus the standard benefits that postdoctoral fellows at Stanford University receive. The fellowship program falls under U.S. Immigration J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa activities.
Applications should be submitted electronically to the Stanford University Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and may also be submitted by hard copy if necessary directly to the Stanford University Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society, PO Box 20554, Stanford, CA 94309-8554. Please include the following information in both electronic and paper formats:
- Cover letter: detailing the reasons for the applicant's interest in coming to Stanford and an indication as to which faculty members they would be interested in working with should that faculty member have a reciprocal interest.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Fellowship proposal: detailing the research that the fellow would undertake while at Stanford (five page limit).
- Writing sample: consisting of either a dissertation chapter or a recent published paper.
- Graduate Transcript: with proof that applicants have completed all the requirements for the PhD, or a letter from their PhD advisor stating they will do so by June 2013.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Please disclose if you have additional funding arrangements.
The next deadline for submission is January 9th, 2013.
Questions about the application should be directed to email@example.com.
Send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org